View Single Post
Old 3rd February 2006, 18:25   #27  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkman
"Uncorrected" anamorphic images are 720x480 (for NTSC) with the aspect ratio of 1.5:1, right?
Yep that's correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkman
And the DAR can be set to signal stretching to either 4:3 or 16:9 (and two others). But, going back to my example case earlier, if the source was in fact 4:3 then the DAR would be set to that, and there should be no padding borders. So why are there borders? My only conclusion is that the original source is NOT 4:3 but rather 176:135, and the borders are there to correct the aspect ration from 4:3! So it seems to me that kotrtim has the right of it, and that I should use the uncropped size for SAR calculation.
Yes the are two DAR levels for commercial 4:3 and 16:9 NTSC DVD's. There are also two DAR levels for commercial 4:3 and 16:9 PAL DVD's.

The padding (borders) which can often be seen to the left and right of DVD images is (arguably) there to help reduce "over-scan". Normally when playing DVD's via a stand-alone player and viewing them via a TV, you would not see this padding but on a PC you do.

But even if you crop away the left and right padding boarders, the "target" aspect ratio shape is still indended to be either 4:3 or 16:9.

Cheers