View Single Post
Old 12th July 2009, 02:03   #16  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoH View Post
Hmm, so what's the advantage to using Yadif along with Decomb Telecide if it's throwing out the fields that Decomb Telecide is matching? I may as well just use Yadif alone right? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious, I'm a little rusty with this kind of stuff.
Decomb Telecide doesn't deinterlace. It just re-orders the fields to undo Telecine or to fix field-shifted streams.
After that process we (ideally) get the original progressive frames back. No interpolation does happen.
Of course Decomb Telecide only works with Telecined or filed-shifted material. It does not work on "true" interlaced video at all!

In your case the video appears to be field-shifted and Decomb Telecide does restore the video pretty well.
Unfortunately there are some filed distortions, which cause these minor combing artifacts shown in your screenshot.
Putting a deinterlacer (e.g. Yadif) behind Decomb Telecide removes those artifacts.

Of course you could skip the Decomb Telecide filter and only use Yadif. This should remove the combing too.
But you probably get better quality, if the deinterlacer bases its decisions on the "fixed" stream instead of the field-shifted one.
The same way we could simply deinterlace a Telecined stream, but we certainly shouldn't do that!

BTW: Maybe one of the Avisynth gurus could write a script to fix your field distortions in a smarter way
Appending Yadif is the quick and dirty solution to clean-up the remaining combing...

Last edited by LoRd_MuldeR; 12th July 2009 at 02:11.
LoRd_MuldeR is offline   Reply With Quote