View Single Post
Old 25th May 2020, 14:59   #7428  |  Link
KoD

I did some changes to the MPC video renderer:
- select the swap chain bit depth based on the bit depth of the area where the player window is located, not on the video bit depth;
- if Windows is configured to display HDR+WCG, then make the video renderer display HDR10 content as HDR10.

Regarding the first issue, I noticed that the bit depth of the swap chain was 8 bit. That's not optimal, we should be using more than 8 bit if the area where the player is located has a higher bit depth. The change I did was to pick the swap chain bit depth based on what Windows reports as the output bit depth underneath the area occupied by the player window.

Regarding the second issue, I noticed that even though HDR+WCG was enabled in Windows 10, the video renderer would tonemap HDR10 video content to SDR. The change I did was to allow displaying HDR10 media as HDR10 content when the area occupied by the player window was enabled as HDR.

What I did not do was to handle the case when the media player window is moved from one screen (virtual or not) to another, as one could be able to show HDR and another one only SDR. This would mean recreating the swap chain. Did try to do so, but likely hit some multithreading issues. This needs to be done by someone who understands what's going on there.

Would there be any interest in these changes?

Last edited by KoD; 25th May 2020 at 15:52.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote