View Single Post
Old 15th April 2019, 01:50   #57  |  Link
Blue_MiSfit
Derek Prestegard IRL

@tp4tissue

Respectfully, the industry disagrees, and so do consumers. I've been doing this professionally for quite a long time, and work directly with the manufacturers, creatives, and software vendors on this issue. There's still disagreement on creative approaches, but everyone agrees HDR is a good thing, and everyone is making it.

Of course things aren't perfect - we indeed don't have consumer displays that are close to 4000 nits yet (tho I wish I had a water cooled Dolby Pulsar ), and display gamut is still too small in many cases, but this is improving.

Dolby Vision is not just PQ with dynamic metadata, there's a lot of stuff going on to adaptively shape the signal on a scene-by-scene basis from a high quality 4:4:4 12+ bit source into the intermediate 4:2:0 10 bit ICpCt intermediate space used for HEVC compression. Vision also goes deep into the display, making sure the full range 12 bit RGB signal can be properly reconstructed.

The dynamic metadata on top of that is a great way to grade content aggressively today, have it be presented reasonably on current HDR displays, and then (with no additional creative effort) be presented to the best possible effect on future HDR displays.

HDR10 is great, but has some issues. HDR10+ sounds cool, but not many TVs do it yet, and I haven't experimented with it. Vision brings even more to the table, and is widely supported. I see it as the best possible solution today. That may change.

HLG sounds great for live, but again there's not a lot of support out for it yet.
Blue_MiSfit is offline   Reply With Quote