Old 16th September 2015, 10:44   #11  |  Link
~ VEGETA ~
The cult of personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfadel View Post
For the 'extra' options I'm using:
Code:
--aq-mode 3 --fgo 5 --fade-compensate 0.2 --aq3-mode 2 --aq3-strength 0.3
This is in conjunction with using CRF, and maxing out the standard quality settings.

I'm not saying they're the ideal options, but I feel it's balanced without upsetting the bitrate too much. Setting fgo to 5 is a very light film grain optimisation which gives a nice result. Same with fade compensate being 0.2, it's a small amount, beneficial, without costing too much bitrate. The aq3-mode 2 use is a little experimental, I think it does look good! I use a strength of 0.3 for this, which might sound low, but it seems to be effective. Having this much higher seems to make the bitrate use increasingly higher.
So we can use aq-mode=3 with aq2-strength (haali) AND OreAQ (aq3-mode) at the same time? How will the encoder distribute the bitrate?

Plus, how to use this:

Code:
<Up:Down> or <Up1:Down1:Up2:Down2:Up3:Down3:Up4:OtherStuff>
Is it rather than using one value? if you know, please put an example.

I am interested in OreAQ as it is really good as a concept. I like the fact that we can use aq-mode=3, aq-strength=-0.8 which is great for anime.

So basically:

Normal AQ (aq-mode=3 for example): generally good with all frames, use negative values for anime.
aq2-strength: enhance flat areas.
OreAQ (aq3-mode=1,...): enhance dark areas and so on (maybe control bright areas too?).

^ is this correct?

Also, can we really disable the normal aq-mode and use only aq2 and aq3?

thanks!!
~ VEGETA ~ is offline   Reply With Quote