View Single Post
Old 7th December 2020, 20:47   #30236  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

Quote:
The difference which I found is with respect to preserving 'details' in the sense of replicating the source as closely as possible.
SSIM - as a quality metric adapted to human perception - seems to be pretty forgiving in this respect.
Inspecting individual frames, the NVEnc encodes looked like pre-filtered (de-noised) x264 encodes in my experience.
Fine details like textures of clothes are partially smoothed away (mainly in B-frames), and low contrast areas (e.g. dust or gravel in shady areas) look mashed.
One will however hardly notice this when watching the movie real-time (what a movie is supposed to be used for), and some viewers may subjectively even prefer the 'denoised' NVEnc version.
Hence SSIM seems to not penalize these losses unduly.

See the same, Sharc. I am still asking PSNR for that reason, SSIM being called in by codec makers to soothe away codec's imperfections.

Many thanks for the continued development, jdobbs !