View Single Post
Old 14th December 2015, 15:23   #34625  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubblec4 View Post
I have posted in the LAV thread an issue.

With the new madVR0.89.17 play the DVD Aliens(test dvd without the big-vobs) with 4:3 format (menu and video), but it should be 16:9. With EVR it plays fine with 16:9 format.
Thanks, will have a look at this when I find some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
Hi madshi, you were right, the settings are reset, both the file and the registry entries get deleted, so that's not the reason why the subtitle positioning got fixed. In fact, after doing what you asked me, I can now say with certainty that the subtitle positioning issue happens only when DXVA is used for the scaling of the luma and of the chroma. If DXVA is not used for scaling, then the subtitles are at their proper location in the image. It's as if DXVA is used for scaling, then the subtitles are kept at their original position in the frame in absolute values, which is now somewhere in the middle-left part of the image. And yes, using software decoding + DXVA scaling also shows this issue; it's not related to QuickSync.
In order to reproduce this, could you send me 2 "settings.bin" files (from the madVR folder, or if madVR doesn't have write access to that folder, it's in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\madshi\madVR\Settings"), one where subtitle positioning works and one where it doesn't work - together with a small sample?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoD View Post
I confirm there is an AR issue for DVD playback myself, with a DVD of my own. But this is not new, it's here since at least 0.89.15 (did not test further back).

The copyright notice is 4:3 and is displayed properly, the studio intro is also 4:3 and no issues, and then the menu appears, which is a static image, and should be displayed as 16:9, but madVR displays it as 4:3. In EVR it's 16:9. No sample from me, but I think there needs to be the two videos included as well to reproduce this, and I don't know how to cut the vobs with the intro videos in.
Sample?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiandow View Post
I think preventing this 'edge filling' entirely will require a different algorithm, you'll need to detect edges in a somewhat more intelligent manner. Although, if you don't mind doing an extra processing pass, I did manage to get some nice results if I combine a somewhat modified Bilateral scaler it with a softened SuperRes pass, that's still highly experimental though.
There are too many changes atm in various places in madVR. It's not a good time to add experimental algo tests on top of that. Maybe later. Or when you have something near "final".

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgido View Post
Love the thin edges enhancement! On anime it makes the outlines look so sharp (I set it to maxium)! Shapen and crispen looks slightly better on very moderate amounts. On anime, 1080p BD encodes it improves more consistently a lot more than on 480p dvd rips from what I tested. Looks like it is more hard to detect edges on low resolution blurry anime. Enhance detail only makes encoding artifacts more visible.

I will use the enchantments and try to tweak when watching anime and try different quality and art animes for some time then post my experience.
Glad to hear you like it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsolidsnake86 View Post
madshi have you found how fix the stuttering when open a file and go to fullscreen?
no one experienced this? i'm on windows 10, with 2 monitors cloned
You could try using extended instead of cloned. Cloned is difficult for madVR to handle properly. I'm not even sure if madVR is getting the scanline information from the proper monitor in that setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siso View Post
Is it me or the latest madvr versions take screenshots in 16-235 instead of 0-255? EVR cp is ok.
That probably greatly depends on the exact settings you're using. There are a million different render paths in madVR, e.g. DXVA scaling on/off etc, downscaling vs. upscaling etc. It's possible that there's a problem in some situations, but I can only fix it if I know your exact settings (e.g. upload "settings.bin"). Also a screenshot of the debug OSD (Ctrl+J) would be useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlnl View Post
Will have to delay this once more. Sorry for taking so long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewater View Post
I like the fullscreen exclusive seekbar of madvr because it only appears in fullscreen mode, but I also dislike the purple color, the font, and background (ideally I would love to only have the time and the bar without background). My question is, any chance you could add an option in the future to modify this bar via images or something like that?
Maybe in some far away future. Atm adding missing features is much more important than doing some cosmetical eye candy tweaks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansrfe View Post
What exactly does enhance detail do?
It increases the contrast between brighter and darker pixels in image areas where there are no edges nearby. Doing so makes image detail stand out more, but it also makes noise, grain and artifacts more visible. So it's probably more useful for clean/good sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullack View Post
When using the current madVR on a 4K UHD display with high DPI say 300%, the madVR CTRL J renderer stats are too small to read.
True. Will be fixed in some future version, but not a priority atm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truexfan81 View Post
v0.89.17 according to the settings SS attached

already using Ordered dithering

edit even with latest driver, its the same, cannot use the new algos, gpu usage jumps from 45% up to 100% as soon as i activate any of them. Adaptive Sharpen does not have that problem.
Something is weird there. Which media player are you using? Is it possible that you have different madVR versions installed on your PC? E.g. J.River MC comes with its own madVR version.

Also make sure your GPU settings don't force anisotropic filtering or anti-aliasing. Doing that slows down your GPU without visual benefit in madVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuzakiL View Post
Does Madvr now, runs properly on Windows 10 TH2 + AMD GPU?
AFAIK generally yes, as long as you don't have CrossFire, but there's always the odd user who has problems, so there's no guarantee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrue View Post
I think I have found a bug. I am using the last development version of MPC-HC with the last version of XYSubFilter and the last version of MadVR
The bug happens in MadVR plus XYSubFilter when displaying upscaled VobSub subtitles.
It is an anime episode, 848x480 internal resolution, MPEG4 (H264) video, softcoded VobSub subtitles.
When displaying the vid at 1x resolution the subtitles are correctly displayed at the bottom of the screen.
When the vid is at 50% resolution (in window mode) it doesn't show subtitles at all.
If the vid is upscaled, resolution 2x (window mode) or it is upscaled fullscreen at 1920x1080 the subtitles appear on the left and in the middle of the screen and the subtitles themselves are not upscaled (they appear with the same size than in the resolution 848x480).
MadVR with other subtitles filters (VSFilter and Internal MPCHC filter) display correctly the subtitles upscaled and the bottom of the screen.
The MPCHC Personalized Enhanced Video Renderer with XYSubFilter shows the subtitles correctly too.
You can see screenshots of the vid here with the subtitles. In all these screenshots I am using MPCHC, MadVR and XYSubFilter.
If you need more info, please, tell me.
http://www72.zippyshare.com/v/8bgIjJfZ/file.html
Thanks, I'll have a look at this later, when I find some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois76l View Post
I have one demand/question:
Many of us are experiencing the same problem: i1d3 (or low end colorimeters) measure our display with a perfect black (accuracy problem) and the result is always a linear gamma from 0 to 100%. The reason is simple: perfect black = infinite contrast ratio but we don't have an oled tv!
As a consequence the blacks are crushed between 0 to approximately 2.5%.
The 17-18 blanking bars are always invisibles after 3dlut creation.

I tried to decrease the gamma @1.25% with videoequalizer v2.06. It works very good (17-18 became visibles again) but it's not compatible with a 3dlut and I can't use this solution.
Do you think it could be possible to create a tool in madvr to modify the gamma curve in realtime after the 3dlut?
The goal is not to make a new gamma curve but only to correct the grayscale with our eyes at very low ire because the i1d3 can't.
A 100 points gamma editor would be really amazing for us. Something like videoequalizer but in madvr, after the 3dlut...
The idea is just to lower the gamma between 0 to 5%. It would be so cool...
Maybe in a future version, but I've many other things to do first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
@madshi
Maybe the settings tool could detect if certain driver functionality (e.g. OpenCL) is missing and notify the user when enabling any options that depend on that functionality?
That might be a good idea if there is only one GPU/monitor. On my PC I have 3 different GPUs installed at the same time, though, so such a check would be pretty useless here.

I'll revisit the whole settings dialog, and its user-friendliness (or lack of) before I reach v1, but atm it's not a priority for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70MM View Post
Im about to start using madvr with Jriver. Im only needing it for up to 1080p (no higher scaling) and wonder what the best settings I should be using for 1080p. I have a Sony 4k projector yet I don't want to scale to 4k as Im about to sell the projector for a new JVC which is still only 1080p. Im only using the system for ripped BDs on MKV 1:1 copy and a number of video files. Im using the Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 with 4GB ram card.
The new JVCs seem to handle 4K input relatively well, so you *may* benefit from upscaling in madVR, even though the JVC panels are only 1080p. Might at least be worth a try. I'd wait until the JVC has arrived and then simply play with the various options to see which produces the best overall result.

BTW, in case you have a CIH/CIA/CIW setup, madVR can automate all that for you, including setting automatically activating lens memories for cinemascope movies etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
I'm using D3D11 in windowed fullscreen on Windows 10 for a few days now and so far there hasn't been a problem with playback jittering/tearing.
Either something has been fixed in the current Nvidia drivers (using 359.00) or it was the big Windows 10 November update.
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgel View Post
I get random crashes (very often) when changing from normal to fullscreen, using right click and full screen, or alt+enter. The mpc-hc + madvr crashes, but windows does not crash. I wanted to ask, why this might happen, I will post a log file, if anyone can give me a hang on how to read the log file, or how to generate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by truexfan81 View Post
i get a crash 1 out of every 3 times i launch a video lol and its only when using madvr, funny thing is the crash reports always point to the nvidia driver happens with absolutely every version of the nvidia driver too.
I'll need the crash report. If you don't get a crash report file on your desktop automatically, click on the "show bug report" button, then press Ctrl+C, after that you have the bug report in your clipboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ver Greeneyes View Post
madshi, could you add support for either arithmetic operators, or some more measures of throughput in the profile select rules? I ask because I'm pretty sure the amount of time it takes my GPU to apply a particular filter scales linearly with the amount of pixels it has to process. So if I know it can handle a particular profile for 720p30, I'd like to use that as an upper limit, so it uses the same profile up to 1280*720*30 = 27648000 pixels per second.

In a profile select rule, I imagine this would work like (srcWidth * srcHeight * deintFps <= 27648000), or (srcPixels * deintFps <= 27648000), or (srcThroughput <= 27648000), depending on what is available. Adding support for arithmetic operators (or at least multiplication) would generalize the rule selection nicely. In my case, I'd probably combine this with (srcWidth == targetWidth or srcHeight == targetHeight) to know when I only have to worry about chroma scaling.
Makes sense, I'll add it to my to do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElix View Post
What might be preventing Fullscreen Exclusive mode from activating on my computer? I have fresh-installed MPC-HC and madVR and it doesn't help.

Windows 10 x64
MPC-HC 1.7.10
madVR 0.89.17

Edit: Madshi, I uploaded log, bug report and DxDiag information in one archive: https://yadi.sk/d/8Y5cl6AAkyp5t Also, in this instance, the player also crashed. As it happens every single time now.
The crash is when doing error diffusion. You could try updating your GPU driver, maybe that helps?

In order to find the failure to enter FSE mode, I'll need another log with the debug OSD (Ctrl+J) active while recording the log, because having the debug OSD active adds some more information to the log that I need in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xabregas View Post
So i have tested the new xysubfilter and new madvr and i was almost amazed when i saw that in 2.35 movies the subtitlees now can go to the black bars outside the movie window. But it was a matter of minutes until they went back to the front of the movie while playing. Anyone knows how to fix it, i.e making the subtitles stay in the black bars??
There is a known bug that I need to work on. It also requires a new XySubFilter patch, which is why I've not fixed it yet. Will be fixed sooner or later, but might take some time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhara View Post
Question, if I put "activate deinterlacing" off on MadVr, is the display reponsible for doing this stuff ?
No. An HTPC is not good with outputting interlaced images. You do need to deinterlace on your HTPC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktan View Post
Hi All, I have a problem that hopefully someone can help me fix. I'm thinking I'm just missing something silly in some settings. I'm using MPC-HC Version 1.7.9 opening an analog capture device. I use ffdshow tryouts to change the output colorspace (to avoid the forced load of MPC-HC internal Deinterlacer filter on 4:2:2 color spaces) and to deinterlace the source. I use madVR Version 0.89.9 as the renderer. The problem I have is if I use ffdshow to double the frame rate for deinterlacing, madVR seems to drop all those extra frames. I see this in stats and it only happens if I double the frame rate. This problem doesn't exist with other renderers like EVR as it is a lot smoother when the frame rate is doubled. I didn't use madVR's own deinterlacing becuase it wasn't deinterlacing well. I'm guessing this is probably due to the fact that the queues are stuck at 0-1 in stats. I'm also guessing this is why madVR keeps dropping frames. The combination of ffdshow deinterlacing and madVR renderer does not have a problem if I use a MPEG2 source instead of an analog capture source probably since the queues can be filled properly then. Does anyone have an idea of what I can do to fix this?
madVR only drops frames if either the GPU is too slow or if the refresh rate it too low. Please make a screenshot of the Ctrl+J madVR menu when you get those frame drops, then maybe we can help.

Generally you should get better quality when letting madVR deinterlace. So it might make sense to try that again and post a screenshot of Ctrl+J with that setup, too.
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote