View Single Post
Old 17th October 2008, 18:15   #15  |  Link
microchip8
ffx264/ffhevc author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinematic View Post
Just as you have based your script on personal experience my comments are also based on personal experience wich means that if my reasoning is flawed yours is also flawed ;-)
Actually my reasoning is not flawed, it overthrows yours. You said that you never had A/V sync problems when encoding without audio in the first pass. I said that I have three DVDs that get A/V sync problems when encoding without audio during the first pass. Conclusion? My experience overthrows yours. Why? Because I have encountered these problems and I'm not a special case. This could happen to anyone out there, not just me - there have been various reports over the years on the mplayer mailing list of people having problems when encoding the first pass without audio. This could happen to you too, even if you never had any problems so far. The fact is that the problem is real (as I have experienced it) and it exists. Just because it didn't happen to you so far, it doesn't mean it won't happen to someone else at a given point in the future. As there are millions and millions of DVDs out there, and even more video files, there's no way you or me or someone else could tell that at a given time and the right content, the problem won't occur again.

If I had to apply your reasoning on a specific disease it will result in a flawed conclusion. Based on your reasoning, the specific disease doesn't exist because you never had experienced the effects of it. But what if others have experienced the effects of the specific disease? Does it mean that it doesn't exist because YOU never experienced it? No. It means that YOU and only YOU so far has never experienced it. This does not prove that the specific disease doesn't exist, it only proves that so far you were "lucky" and did not catch it. Based on the collective experience of others, the specific disease DOES exist as someone has experienced its effects.

Your reasoning is local (meaning it is based only on your own experience so far without taking into account the experiences of others). My reasoning is global, based not only on my own experience but also on others too, like the people on the mplayer mailing list that have reported such problems.