View Single Post
Old 5th April 2022, 08:37   #64  |  Link
Sharc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lansing View Post
sample here.

The image looks so saturated, but vectorscope was showing all color within legal range. The red channel was blowing up in the RGB parade in Davinci Resolve, but surprisingly it didn't clip and was recoverable with decreasing "color boost" or "saturation" parameter.
Yes, legal YUV triplets translate into illegal RGB. For example many of the pinks are around YUV(190,126,167). With the 601 matrix these get converted to RGB(265,172,199) which is eventually clipped to RGB(255,172,199).
I don't know how DaVinci Resolve deals with it, but I would suggest to legalize the colors in Avisynth before taking the clip to an NLE, and only then do the fine color tweaks in the NLE in RGB color space. My point is as soon as the capture gets converted to RGB (e.g. by the NLE) the damage is already done, hence the first correction should be done in the YUV color space. But as I said, I don't know how DaVinci Resolve handles this, and the Gamut legalization step in Avisynth may not be required.

Also, I think the black level is high, e.g. the black background of the intro.

Here a proposal which 'legalizes' the colors and shifts the black level down:
Code:
SmoothTweak(contrast=0.95,saturation=0.7,HQ=true,TVrange=True, Limiter=False)
mergechroma(SmoothLevels(input_low=16,gamma=1.0,input_high=235,output_low=8,output_high=235,HQ=true,TVrange=True,Limiter=0),last) #black level adjusted with chroma copyback
Edit:
And b.t.w. the chroma really deserves some sharpening (not included in the script above).

Last edited by Sharc; 5th April 2022 at 10:17.
Sharc is offline   Reply With Quote