View Single Post
Old 4th February 2020, 14:31   #29239  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Sure, I know. There is little other good reason to prefer HW over SW encoding. Also keep in mind if CPU demanding avisynth scripts get involved the overall speed gain can significantly drop.
I do not at all argue against HW encoding. The speed/quality/compression compromise has always been a personal decision .
Exactly. Right now BD-RB doesn't offer that choice. Hopefully at some point it will.

One other point. There's also the option to choose the fastest speed for X265 in BD-RB. My guess would be that it is similar to hardware encoding in quality -- and is a lot faster than, say, the default "High Quality" mode in BD-RB. Even on my old AMD FX-8350 I can get 5-7 fps with that setting. It still takes 8-10 hours to encode -- but it doesn't require a $200 investment in a new video card.
Quote:
One 'problem' I see with HW encoding is that BD-RB would have to analyze the user's HW in order to suggest the appropriate encoder settings.
Does anyone know if the Nvidia API or FFMPEG/NVENC offer ways to report the capabilities of existing Nvidia hardware? That's one problem I foresee with support for HW encoding -- it changes so much that it could become a full-time job just trying to keep up with it. The Nvidia support matrix shows the variety of cards and capabilities that you might have to support.

Last edited by jdobbs; 4th February 2020 at 14:46.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote