View Single Post
Old 21st September 2018, 15:32   #52653  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chouonsoku View Post
Increasing the nits doesn't fix the super strong red hue, but they have to be that low to avoid the intense black crush that also happens with the HDR process setting. It was also set to 150 / 400 to make it easier to see the red problem in the photos.
It sounds bugged if you are getting crushed blacks at higher target nits. It should be the same.

Part of the problem is that madVR may send a value to the display that is supposed to be shown at an exact nits and the display's tone mapping curve may be designed to show the same PQ value at a different brightness. I'm not sure how the Panasonic "HDR Optimizer" gets around this. It only seems to impact the top of curve in the screenshots I've seen. I would think this feature would only work well for displays that closely follow the PQ curve and roll-off.

Edit: I looked at a review of the Panansonic pre-tone mapping feature that also used an LG C7 and it was tone mapping the result to a preset of 1,000 nits. So it was actually above the brightness of the display when the reviewer was glowing about its effectiveness.

I don't know how sending a signal with an altered brightness response is tone mapped by a display expecting a standard brightness response from a standard PQ source.

Last edited by Warner306; 21st September 2018 at 18:45.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote