View Single Post
Old 19th March 2014, 07:41   #56  |  Link
hello_hello

I've been using gMKVExtractGUI a little more today and I need to report, it's killing me in the speed department. I timed the extraction process to make sure I wasn't imagining it. Until I did I hadn't realised gMKVExtractGUI extracts each stream one at a time. Any reason for that?

With a 5GB MKV on one RAID-0 volume while extracting to another, I extracted the DTS audio stream and two subtitle streams. Each one took a little under 70 seconds, so the total extraction time (including the audio timecodes) was 4 minutes 35 seconds.

MKVCleaver, on the other hand, extracted all three streams in 1 minute, 5 seconds. If I ran a single hard drive like most/many people the process using gMKVExtractGUI would be somewhat painful. For whatever reason it seems MKVCleaver doesn't extract the timecodes at the same time it extracts the streams, but if you do ask it to extract timecodes, it extracts them all together. In my test if I'd extracted timecodes that would have doubled MKVCleaver's extraction time, although it's not something I do often anyway.

Cheers.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote