View Single Post
Old 8th June 2014, 00:01   #131  |  Link
david42
Former Technical Janitor

Error sourcing /Tcl/Work/PGCEDIT/PgcEdit.tcl: extra characters after close-quote () 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by david42
When I open the VIDEO_TS it starts ok but as soon as I attempt to remove uncalled PGC's or VTS's or run FixVts it throws an ERROR window pop-up and the bottom status line tells me to exit immediately and start up PgcEdit again. When I start it up again and it opens the VIDEO_TS folder it gets into scanning it when it suddenly pops up a Console Window which ends with the message "Error sourcing /Tcl/Work/PGCEDIT/PgcEdit.tcl: extra characters after close-quote () 1 %"

This is a 1962 James Bond movie that MGM made a "Special Edition" DVD of in 2000 so it surprises me that it is being problematic.

Any ideas how I can get around this editing issue would be appreciated?!

THANX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by r0lZ

(edited for brevity)
Launch PgcEdit WITHOUT opening the DVD at startup, then go to File->Open DVD, annd open it from that menu. When it will crash, you'll see an error dialog box with a "Details" button. Click the button, copy the whole message and paste it here.
I sent r0lZ the files he request outside of the view of the forum so he could evaluate the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Private reply by r0lZ
(who approved this sharing)

(edited for brevity)
OK, thanks for the files.

I notice this in the menubuttons_new.but file form your PgcEdit_backup folder:
Code:
# PgcEdit Buttons dump file
# Automatically saved by PgcEdit v9.4b4
# DVD: "R:\007_01-DR_NO.r\VIDEO_TS"
# DVD-TEXT General Name: "Dr. No
"
# Provider ID: "PgcEdit 9.4b4"
# Number of VTS: 3
That file is read when PgcEdit loads the DVD so that it doesn't need to rescan the Title VOBs for BOVs every time. But it seems that for any reason, the header of the file is corrupt. It should be:
Code:
# PgcEdit Buttons dump file
# Automatically saved by PgcEdit v9.4b4
# DVD: "R:\007_01-DR_NO.r\VIDEO_TS"
# DVD-TEXT General Name: "Dr. No"
# Provider ID: "PgcEdit 9.4b4"
# Number of VTS: 3
Since, in the original file, the ending quote is located at the start of the next line, the error occurs.

You can delete the two .but files from the PgcEdit_backup folder to force PgcEdit so scan the BOVs again. It should work fine. (You can also fix the files by resetting the quotes where they should be, like in the second example above, but you will probably have to do it each time PgcEdit reloads the DVD.)

There a new line character at the end of the "Dr. No\n" label in the DVD-TEXT general name on the DVD IFO files. I'm almost sure that the problem will be present again when PgcEdit will re-create the .but files.

The DVD-Text General Name is the name of the movie, stored in the DVD-Text table in the IFOs. You need PgcEdit or another IFO Editor to change it. Anyway, afaik, there is no way to enter the new line character with PgcEdit.

+++ FIX +++
To fix the problem, restart PgcEdit (after having deleted the .but files), then use immediately DVD -> Remove DVD-TEXT data (the last option in the DVD menu). Save the DVD and quit PgcEdit. Delete again the .but files and restart PgcEdit. The problem should now be fixed. If you wish, use DVD -> Set DVD-TEXT General Name to restore the "Dr. No" label, but this time without the additional new line character.

Thanks for the bug report.
That brings the forum up to date on what r0lZ was able to find.

In short it appears that Metro Goldyn Mayer (aka MGM) release some DVDs ~2000 that had an authoring issue in 1 or more IFO file(s) for the name of the movie (eg. Dr. No\n, From Russia With Love\n) which PgcEdit sees in a variable it calls "DVD-TEXT General Name" that PgcEdit v9.3 puts into some files it creates in the PgcEdit_backup* folders named menubuttons.but, menubuttons_new.but.

I also noticed the same problem in the files "User comments.upc", "User comments backup.upc" in case they need to be fixed as well.

If you run into this and confirm it in any of those PcgEdit_back* files manually after seeing a crash, apply the +++ FIX +++ (above) for the problem.

I hope I got all of this correct r0lZ. Please feel free to correct any mistake(s).

THANX
david42 is offline   Reply With Quote