Old 23rd August 2019, 08:30   #195  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
RGB untouched by madVR and presented in PC mode should be the most accurate
Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
Should yes, but this is an LG TV.
@jk82 is right, LG does some crazy things, e.g. there's no proper chroma 4:4:4 in PC mode at 4k resolution (and this is just 1 example). It seems it's more important for them to work on ABL algos than picture quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by j82k View Post
RGB + PC mode + HDR is like the worst combination and produces terrible banding on the C8.
Yes, but that's what I am using

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I think that's why they worked on the Highlight strength recovery option because you do indeed lose a bit of luminance with madvr's tone mapping. I crank that option to Are you nuts? for that very reason.
Nep_XP stated that currently it does more harm than good, since it was implemented back then when DTM wasn't in madvr yet, hence he disabled it.

Quote:
Some of NEO-XPs values would only apply to HDR to SDR tone mapping.
Which ones? (But I don't think so, see below.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I tend to not use the live algo myself and instead prefer to create measurement files. The improvemenets in the live algo have been remarkable, but, you are exactly right in that they seem to be more targeted to HDR->SDR.
But that's the same for measurement files as well. Only 1 guy had 200 nits screen, Neo-XP's 150 nits, Manni's 135 nits, all the others are way less (even 50 nits)!
What nits setting did you use when created your measurement files?

Not to mention that's exactly what we want to do as well - the only diff is the way higher nits setting -, the problem is we can't disable the TV's tonemapping.

But if you insist, you can quickly create measurement files for the uploaded clips as well. But in that case post a screenshot of your settings, please.

Quote:
This retains more specular highlight detail but leaves less luminance for the highlights compared to the original BT.2390 curve. I think the version used by madVR was picked because it works well for HDR to SDR tone mapping.
Well, I don't think it's worth it, there's only minimal difference between passthrough and pixelshader (see below).