View Single Post
Old 14th January 2005, 23:10   #7  |  Link
JJ

Hi,
Good to hear that someone still remembers this codec
Regarding your question:
My master thesis will be based on Blox - it will serve as a proof of concept for some ideas that I've been researching lately. So this project is definitely alive , although I've started to write new code only recently. I'm planning to release a new build at the end of January, of course it will be announced here .
Some of the features I'm currently working on:
- better motion vector prediction; there was almost no MV prediction in 0.1.0, so I'm expecting some bitrate savings here,
- better entropy coding (range coding instead of Huffman coding) - this might help when coding the motion vectors
These changes will result in somewhat smaller files, but won't increase the quality of the encodings. On the quality side I need to hunt down a bug which causes some noise in the decoded image regardless of the quantizer used - this is probably a rounding problem at the quantization stage.
These are the changes which will probably make it into 0.2.0. If anyone's interested I can write down a summary of my ideas and plans for the future development of Blox and post it here; some of these ideas have already been partially implemented and will show up in a future build.

Thanks,
JJ
Quote:
Originally posted by Selur
just wondering if it's still in development and if there'll be a update sometime
JJ is offline   Reply With Quote