View Single Post
Old 22nd May 2020, 02:15   #768  |  Link
Perenista

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuchikirukia View Post
^^^^^
It worked! I read your message and was reluctant to try. Now I figured out how it's done:

I had to do the following:

1) gMKVExtractGUI: extract the video and chapter tracks from file1.mkv. Repeat procedure for file2.mkv.

2) MKVToolnix: create a MKV with extracted tracks from file 1. Repeat for tracks from file2.

2.1) Merge the two resulting MKVs (append option).

3) gMKVExtractGUI: extract the audio track from file1.mkv. Repeat procedure for file2.mkv.

4) MKVToolnix: create a MKA with extracted tracks from file 1. Repeat for tracks from file2.

4.1) Merge the two resulting MKAs (append option).

5) Insert the MKA inside the MKV and save as a new MKV.

A little more work, but it fixed the problem. What I am not sure is how can we tell exactly if appending will cause this issue... I only noticed after checking, otherwise it would be still there.

Unfortunately mkvmerge cannot detect which mode to use reliably. Therefore it defaults to 'file' mode. 'file' mode usually works better for files that have been created independently of each other; e.g. when appending AVI or MP4 files. 'track' mode may work better for sources that are essentially just parts of one big file, e.g. for VOB and EVO files.

In this case it was easy to spot the error because:

a) It's a DVD, so VOB files;

b) It's a sports event, a match with 1st and 2nd half, and when we open the DVD it offers us the option to play all together or select one of the two.

Another case in which I saw this problem was a TV show episode that is probably viewed as a single one (with 44 instead of 22 minutes) during DVD playback, but it's actually splitted into two when MAKEMKV is extracting.

When I tried appending the MKVs the same thing happened, so I let them separated.

I never stopped to read mkvmerge's documentation, this is very interesting.

Last edited by Perenista; 22nd May 2020 at 02:18.
Perenista is offline   Reply With Quote