View Single Post
Old 20th January 2014, 12:52   #50  |  Link
ultim
AVS+ Dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEt View Post
I'm far from law expert, but still think that interfaces are not subject to licensing restrictions (structures, function prototypes,...).
Headers are always subject of the license, but the licence may define separate terms for the headers. LGPL is such an example, but GPL is not. LGPL plays with the definition of "header", while GPL plays with the definition of "derived work".

Quote:
For example, does linux kernel need to explicitly grant the permission for every interface to allow its usage in proprietary kernel modules?
Code that tightly integrates with the kernel is considered derived work, which already lead to problems at least once where NVIDIA couldn't integrate his won code because they didn't want to open-source it. Code that somehow only links to GPL modules over the headers is some kind of a grey zone, e.g. kernel devs allow you to have closed-source kernel modules (maybe they have an exemption for that? - dunno), while it is generally unacceptable to link desktop GPL libraries to closed-source apps. As I said, the difference is how you interpret "derived work", and different people do that differently.

Quote:
I completely agree with TurboPascal7 that licensing restrictions can only harm Avisynth. Personally if I had to choice between going GPL or removing plugin that I don't want to be GPL – result will be removal 100% of the time. And I believe we do have several plugins removed by authors because they were threatened later with GPL stuff.
And I agree too. Me too would like to relicense Avisynth+ under the LGPL. My posts aren't aimed at defending the current licence of Avisynth, but that the current licence should still be adhered to even if I don't like it. Changing the licence still needs to be done in a legally conformant way - considering the old one too. And we are trying to do that actively.