Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 22nd June 2016, 06:36   #1780  |  Link
MysteryX
Soul Architect

Blaming and arguing what could have been done in the past won't lead anywhere, I think we can all agree on that. So let's look at what's the best course of action for now.

If we're to require every plugin writer to adapt their plugins, better as well ask them to make them VapourSynth-compatible. IMO that's not a good idea.

In terms of code ugliness, honestly, I really don't care about the code being "theoretically correct" or "politically correct" as a user, as long as it's stable.

I see AviSynth continuing with its interface, and evolving with an extended interface that will need to be clearly defined at some point.

If IanB decides to release a version of AviSynth 2.6 x64 that isn't compatible with all the plugins already out, that will be his problem. Convincing everybody to recompile won't work when most are using AVS+ x64 anyway. He'll then have 2 options: adjust his x64 to match the existing libraries, or that version will end up in the abyss of times. Personally I don't see the need for AviSynth 2.6 x64 but the x86 version is still widely used. Here's another thing to consider, if we did get every plugin developer to re-compile, every single user would have to replace every single one of their plugins. That would be a mess. The forum would be flooded with newbies asking why their plugins aren't working anymore. Not counting DLL mixups and confusion all around the Internet, never knowing whether you're downloading the right version. Just think of what happened when the video industry decided to shift Rec.601 to Rec.709 to make it "better". We're still dealing with the side-effects.

I would see 2 points of improvements.

1. Clearly defining the extended interface of AviSynth+

2. Writing guidelines about how to write plugins that work with both AviSynth and VapourSynth. As a developer, it would be useful to have a comprehensive list of the differences and a roadmap to make them compatible.

Last edited by MysteryX; 22nd June 2016 at 06:39.