View Single Post
Old 28th June 2018, 14:14   #3110  |  Link
manolito

Hi MrC,

sorry for the late reply, but I just got back from my annual motorcycle trip. It was Scotland this time, real nice, and we had the greatest weather...

Just did some quick tests with the new hotfix, so far no problems...

There is a small cosmetic thing when detecting the audio peak for 2 audio tracks. The detection works nicely now, and the 2 AVS scripts use the correct gain values. Only under the Audio tab the displayed gain value is always the value of the last detection. Switching to the other audio track has no effect on the displayed gain value (under the AviSynth tab the different gain values are displayed correctly according to the selected audio track). Just cosmetic and probably easy to fix...

The audio range parameters in the detection command also work nicely, even though I do not really understand why the number of audio frames is different from the number of video frames in the trim command.

For the general normalization concept I do not really have any opinion. I suppose that you want to stick with the simple peak normalization (as opposed to ReplayGain or EBU R128 normalization or even Dynamic Range Compression).

In this case AviSynth normalization and peak detection/amplifydb are redundant, I would prefer ditching AviSynth normalizing. Under Preferences you could leave the normalize option, just change the target value from percentage to dB. If the user has normalization ticked under Preferences and does not explicitly do a peak level check then just do the peak check plus amplifydb silently (of course subtracting the target dB which was specified under Preferences). If the user does the peak level check then let the user decide if he wants to alter the gain or not, just like it works now. This should of course override the normalize setting under Preferences.

This should satisfy even users who want to normalize the world... But mostly these users do not really understand the concept of normalizing, they falsely assume that peak normalizing will result in a constant loudness.

Thanks again for your work,
Cheers
manolito

Last edited by manolito; 28th June 2018 at 14:17.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote