View Single Post
Old 18th November 2014, 13:24   #1  |  Link
easy2Bcheesy

Best MJPEG VFW Option?

Hi there,

I'm looking to acquire 1080p at 60fps in real-time into a high-quality loss codec that has VFW support and offers genuine efficiency compared to the lossless alternatives.

CineForm is the obvious choice, but its VFW codec is single-threaded and it has nowhere near the performance of its DirectShow counterpart, and I've had issues actually getting the CineForm DS codec to work with capture tools that support DirectShow compressors.

I downloaded the Morgan MJPEG VFW codec and was so impressed with it that I bought it. It has multi-core support, 4:2:2 support, and at 90-92% quality level I get excellent quality and around 30-40% of the file-size of the UT codec. Happy days. Unfortunately, it compresses the colour range of Rec601 sources presented in the YUY2 format, and its RGB transformation is horribly slow, meaning no real-time capture.

Are there any other options? I have attempted to contact the Morgan codec's developer but despite having fronted up my money, there is literally no reply from support whatsoever. That's annoying because a simple fix could make this perfect for my needs, and I'd be buying at least five more licenses for my colleagues.

I've tried Blackmagic MJPEG (waaaay too slow) in both VFW and DS flavours, and also FFDShow's MJPEG codec, which didn't seem to work at all for real-time capture. Are there any other options - either with MJPEG or with fast, lossy codecs with VFW support and excellent quality? Ideally I need 4:2:2 support and capture capable on an Intel quad core system.
easy2Bcheesy is offline   Reply With Quote