View Single Post
Old 2nd November 2017, 03:43   #3  |  Link
dooley2009

Great Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
If you have 8-bit source, it'll be safer and faster to just encode in 8-bit. Setting output to full range RGB 10-bit is doing a whole lot of interpolation from an 8-bit limited range 4:2:0 source. That's going from 12 bits per pixel to 30 bits per pixel, and ffmpeg's >8-bit filters just aren't that good or well documented. Also, that file is going to be a lot more challenging to decode. Just pass through the 8-bit limited range 4:2:0 as is. That should easily double your encoding speed while you're at it.

Turning off SAO and deblock from previously encoded sources likely will just increase bitrate; the detail those would nominally preserve likely isn't there in the first place.

I'd just go with -preset slower (which is where all the good stuff from HEVC gets turned on) without other parameters and see what you get.

I am definitely going to give your idea's a spin. I have been thinking about the practicality of taking an 8 bit video with limited color range and catapulting it to full blown color and my only thought is that the technology is either available to do it efficiently and with good results or it is not (at least for the vast majority of us. ie $$$). I was just reading today that mixing presets with a lot of individual settings can cause real trouble as the preset itself can clash with them.

Anyways thank you very much and I hope some others will chime in on their experiences and personal preferences.

Cheers.
dooley2009 is offline   Reply With Quote