View Single Post
Old 13th February 2014, 22:53   #12  |  Link
hello_hello

5 minute, 1920x1040 MKV with Avisynth/ffmsindex/VirtualDub (fast recompress). ffms in single threaded mode. No audio. Output written to the first partition of a RAID-0 volume to take hard drive speed out the equation as much as possible. YV12 -> YV12. Total time as displayed by VirtualDub.
Old E6750 dual core CPU, 3.2GHz. CPU usage is a fairly rough average. Encoding the first 15 to 30 seconds indicated multithreaded mode was slower for both Lagarith and MagicYUV so I disabled it.

Huffyuv (ffdshow variant), 4 min 23 sec, CPU 85%, 9542MB
Huffyuv (ffdshow variant, adaptive huffman tables enabled), 4 min 1 sec, CPU 80%, 5897MB

FFV1, 11 min 4 sec, CPU 70%, 4935MB

Lagarith, (no mulltithreading, enabling it slowed encoding speed by 2 or 3 fps), 4 min 7 sec, CPU 90%, 5451MB

MagicYUV, (no mulltithreading, enabling it slowed encoding speed by 2 or 3 fps), 4 min 23 sec, CPU 97%, 5823MB

Uncompressed YV12, (Avisynth/ffmsindex/VirtualDubMod/Direct Stream Copy), 4 min 14 sec, CPU 65%, 20572MB

I ran most of the above encodes twice to check them, given the next results weren't what I expected.......

As an experiment I thought I'd take Avisynth and ffmsindex out of the equation and reduce the CPU usage (hopefully) required for decoding. I took the second huffyuv encode and put it on the same drive as the original MKV. The 5897MB file took about 1 minute to move, so obviously hard drive speed wasn't a bottleneck. I then opened it directly with VirtualDub and re-compressed it (fast recompress). Same output file location as before. This time multithreaded mode was a little faster than single threaded mode for MagicYUV and Lagarith.

MagicYUV, (mulltithreading enabled), 4 min 02 sec, CPU 70%, 6683MB
I run the encode twice. With huffyuv as the source MagicYUV was faster. It also compressed less.

Lagarith, (mulltithreading enabled), 4 min 54 sec, CPU 65%, 5404MB
With huffyuv as the source Lagarith slowed down quite a bit. The file size decreased a tiny bit. I don't understand why. I tried again without multithreading:
Lagarith, (no mulltithreading), 5 min 29 sec, CPU 55%, 5404MB

Huffyuv (ffdshow variant, adaptive huffman tables enabled), 4 min 38 sec, CPU 55%, 5897MB
And with huffyuv as the source, huffyuv slowed down too. No file size change though. Input and output file sizes were exactly the same.

Someone will have to explain the speed/compression changes for me. Maybe the huffyuv version isn't YV12, although as best as I can tell it is. I even encoded it again using the "force input colorspace option" and setting it to YV12 and the file size after encoding (from the original video) still remained unchanged. When viewing the huffyuv encode with MPC-HC, ffdshow reports the output as NV12 (as it usually does when decoding YV12 with MPC-HC). But enough for today.....

Last edited by hello_hello; 13th February 2014 at 23:09.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote