View Single Post
Old 11th October 2018, 00:33   #1110  |  Link
Nintendo Maniac 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydra3333 View Post
A dummy's question - may one enquire : I have mpc-hc, how to I tell the fps ? I see it stutters at the higher bitrates but am unsure how you measure "i get between xx-yy fps" ? (yes I have "View Statistics" ticked)
To be honest, I don't really know how to do so either, so I do it the manual way via trial and error - I import the videostream into mkvtoolnix, set the frame rate to something (like 20p), export to an mkv with the new framerate, and then see if can playback this new mkv smoothly without any stutter.

If it does stutter, then I do the exact same process again but with a lower framerate (like 15p).

If it plays without any stutter, then I still do the exact same process again but with a higher framerate.

I keep doing this trial-and-error process until I find the highest framerate that doesn't result in any stuttering (note that I only use integer fps values though, like 24p, 25p, 26p, etc - testing fractional framerates as well would be WAY too time consuming with this method).

This method does have the benefit however of working on any media player or browser or the like.

And yes, technically without using a variable refresh rate display or a bajillion different custom resolutions, you're going to always have some visual stutter due to many of the the tested framerates not being an exact multiple of your display's refresh rate, but the sort of stuttering caused by inadequate video decoder performance tends to be way worse than any sort of telecine judder or the like.
Nintendo Maniac 64 is offline   Reply With Quote