View Single Post
Old 5th November 2019, 03:29   #17664  |  Link
Pauly Dunne
Grumpy Old Man.

4K demuxing time test's (if anyone's interested)

So I have noticed a few posts about very long times to start a 4K job, so I thought I'd do a couple of tests for myself.

I chose Harry Potter #1, which is a remux 4K, 60.7Mb/s, 84.5Gb mkv.

I also ran it thru MKVToolnix to rip out EVERYTHING but the video, which took 4:30 mins (Raid-0 to nvme)

Also wanted to see what difference there was between LSmash & FFMS2.

So, chose the untouched mkv to start with, and it took 4:30 mins to demux, and a further 4:20 mins until the job creation was ready, with LSmash.

Using FFMS2 it took 4:30 mins to demux, and further 3:50 mins 'til job was ready.

Then the stripped mkv took 0 mins to demux, and a total of 3:25 mins with LSmash.

Same file using FFMS2 took 0 mins to demux, and a total of 3:12 mins.

Once they were queued up, it was time to see how long it took to copy the file, get the chunks created, etc, etc.

The untouched job took 12:00 mins 'til the chunks were all ready to go.

With the stripped mkv, it took 8:45 mins...not forgetting the it took 4:30 mins to strip out the file in the first place, so it's close'ish.

All these figures are having the original file on a RAID-0 of 2 x Seagate 3Tb 7,200 rpm spinners, copying to an ADATA NVM'e, using a single Xeon 12c cpu.

Now, I cannot provide any final muxing, etc info at this time, as that will take a couple of days for me to get around to do that, but I WILL post my results.

So regardless of how long that's going to take, there WILL be a reasonable amount of time that all DE servers aren't doing anything.