View Single Post
Old 5th November 2019, 20:01   #17674  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atak_Snajpera View Post
Since you have been doing this VPN stuff for living I would like you to ask something.

When you connect to remote LAN via VPN then shouldn't home-pc get the same three sections of IP?

My common sense tells me that after connecting to remote LAN Client IP should be starting from 192.168.2.xxx
A lot of VPN software/gateways will use a IP subnet to connect to, then the VPN gateway will route the traffic to the appropriate network.

For example, I use OpenVPN for and Fortigate for my VPNs. The IP block that you use for the VPN users should be almost a random block because you do not want your VPN users to have the same block as you are running on your networks. In fact, to go further, any networks that are behind your VPNs, you will not want them to be commonly used for home networks.

I try and stay away from the 192.168.*.* blocks for business use. Most likely the home users are using 192.168.0.* and 192.168.1.*, but not always.

An example set up simple corporate network.
Internal Networks: 10.20.10.0/24
DMZ: 10.20.30.0/24
Secured Development: 10.20.40.0/24
VPN Network: 172.27.99.0/24

A road warrior or home user would connect to the VPN. They will get a 172.27.99.* for their VPN address. If I have configured a split VPN, then only the networks behind the VPN gateway will have routes added to the VPN client. The VPN client will still be able to access their local traffic and get access to the Internet without going through the VPN. If I configured Tunnel Mode VPN, and can force ALL traffic to go through the VPN or just allow the client to have access to their local network, but any traffic outside of their local network gets tunneled down the VPN.

There are some VPNs that will bridge traffic and make the VPN client seem like their are on one of the local work networks, but these are not done much any more.

Does RipBot assume everything is flat network (Layer2) or does it allow routing to take place (Layer 3) and jump networks to appropriate routed destination.

Does RipBot bind to single IP address or does it bind to all the local addresses on the machine. I wondering if that could be causing issues if it is binding to a single address as this will cause issues with VPNs.

Did I understand the question right?

As for what VPN I recommend, that would be OpenVPN. I would look at using a Raspberry Pi and a firewall distro, or a wireless router that comes bundled with a OpenVPN gui. Learning OpenVPN, especially, with everything it can do, is not for the faint of heart.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote