View Single Post
Old 27th August 2016, 11:06   #9  |  Link
dizzier

I've spent some time digging through Sony WikiLeaks stash, here's what I've found.

UHD Bluray-Discs are basically BDXL discs, so some drives might read them. It is not official though and not mentioned on the box or in the specs. Note that not all BDXL drives are capable of this, I'm not sure why.

AACS 2.0 has some similarities with AACS 1.0. It obviously encrypts all the audio and video content on the disc. Problems:
- host/drive certificates and any kind of device/processing key are completely separate, keys/certs from AACS 1.0 will not work
- AACS 2.0 discs can be either offline or online, offline let's you play the disc in a usual way if you have device keys, online discs require Internet access to get proper decryption keys (I have no idea what kind of discs are currently available)
- they've made some attempts to secure the online protocol, it probably will not be sufficient to just replay the request sent by legitimate player
- since drive/host certs are separate (and in different format, with longer key and signature) this probably means that a new method of retrieving VID must be implemented by the drives; this means that while BDXL drives can read UHD discs, they will not be able to perform AACS 2.0 auth and retrieve VID (this obviously might be possible with a firmware upgrade, but I guess drive manufacturers will prefer to sell you a new drive)
- there are no PC software players capable of AACS 2.0 yet, so there is no place to try to extract any keys/certs
- there is no public specification (unlike AACS 1.0) and there won't be one

All of this is based on various drafts and presentations, so it might as well all work differently. Unfortunately it seems that there won't be any progress with AACS 2.0 until official UHD supporting PC drives and software players are available. Unless you can reverse engineer hardware players
dizzier is offline   Reply With Quote