View Single Post
Old 15th May 2018, 16:57   #22869  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Don't miss the point that (IIRC...) Dolby Digital (AC3) decoders are able to use metadata in the bitstream to know immediately recommended values already stored by the encoder. May they just be the exponent of a floating point representation of loudness or DialNorm values, or even respect acoustic room models set up in the AC3 encoder, I am not sure; but there is definitely an advantage over dynamic range control for unexpected miscellaneous audio which requires a look-ahead window and introduces a latency.
That's handy when you're in a living room, but for instance, watching Lawrence of Arabia on a road trip some years back was an exercise in frustration, as nothing I could do could get the level of the dialogue up above the road noise with the headphones I had, short of badly distorting the music. It's also only applicable to AC3, which I try to never use. A decent hard limiter only needs about 10 ms or so of latency, well below the usual decoding queues, and again, it'd be a tradeoff the viewer could make.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote