View Single Post
Old 17th February 2019, 06:29   #23342  |  Link
raymondjpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mevunky View Post
This makes sense, however I see no reason to set Windows to anything other than stereo mode, for proper surround everything is bitstreamed anyway. I have always set all machines to 2.0 as 99% of generic sound content is 2.0 which keeps everything in check and fixes your PL issues - as for the rest its bitstreamed and bypasses the shared mixer anyways. I personally see no upside in setting Windows to anything other than 2.0.
I'll certainly try setting Windows to stereo mode, but my priority is to try and work around loss of audio when using MPC-HC and display rate switching with madVR. Otherwise I'm limited to using PotPlayer.

The problem I see with setting to stereo is playing back multi-channel AAC. I haven't found an AV receiver yet that will decode AAC sound so the only option is to decode using LAV audio, ffdshow, or AC3 Filter and (if AC3Filter is set for transcoding PCM to AC3) transcoding on the fly. I don't know how Windows and the receiver would cope with multi-channel PCM, if Windows was set to stereo only mode and AC3 Filter (and/or ffdshow) was disabled.
raymondjpg is offline   Reply With Quote