View Single Post
Old 30th June 2019, 06:04   #28582  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowpro View Post
An example would be a movie in the 2.40:1 aspect ratio where in just a couple scenes the aspect ratio opens up to 1.78:1.
In case you didn't know it, the true IMAX aspect ratio is 1.44:1. That means it is cropped to fit the 16:9 width. If the movie release was done correctly, it would have pillar bars. I'm sure that the executives of the movie studios considered that it would be too jarring to those buying the Blu-ray releases. So, cropping 1.44:1 to 2.40:1 means throwing away a lot of the image. That said, that is what happens when the movie is shown in a regular theater.

[rant]I'm currently not a happy camper with IMAX. Both Dark Phoenix and Spiderman: Far From Home are both available in IMAX 3D, which means a larger image (I think). But IMAX, in their stupidity, has decided that my local IMAX theater will not get either movie in IMAX 3D. The local theater management are not happy and have had trouble getting in touch with IMAX to bitch. So, I watched Dark Phoenix in a regular 3D theater and will be doing the same with Spiderman. IMAX will not be getting my money.

Stupid thing is that it really doesn't cost them any extra to ship a 3D HDD to the theaters, as they get the HDDs back. Yes, IMAX still ships HDDs as they do not trust shipping movies via Ku satellite, even though no regular movie has ever had the encryption broken.[/rant]
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote