View Single Post
Old 28th October 2008, 22:30   #13  |  Link
StickHorsie
Audio Restorator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
DPL II can recover also the center channel and any audio equipment can extract the low frequencies to subwoofer then is a solution ...
if you need a backup in avi format (aac is not supported in avi) with less than 2 GB (to be burn in standard DVD data) to be played by standard standalone players.

For a 3½ hour long movie is a good choice.
I see you're getting exactly why I'm doing what I'm doing.

And yes, that was what I wanted to hear: that DPL II will do nicely if you want to spend more MBs on video quality, but don't want to lose the surround effect and still want full compatibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlimsyFeet View Post
Screw your friends, it's your backup, do it however you want!
Having been a professional audio remastering engineer for 22 years (and a bit), I sometimes help out when people have sh*tty audio on their backups (which sometimes happens when they set everything to automatic - I've already seen some pretty weird audio tracks) and the originals aren't available anymore. So far I've had no complaints but since I'm rather new to the video editing biz, I wondered if I might have overlooked something important.

And hey, I might win the lottery and surround (pun not intended) myself with speakers one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zwitterion View Post
The back channels of a DPLII-encoded MP3 sound horrible. Bad warbling, etc... Even 320 kbps MP3s are not transparent after they went through a DPL decoder.
It's logical that reducing any file size should have some side effects... would the "Control rear channel filtering" setting in BeSweet be of help when I'm converting to .wav? (I'm not doing direct AC3 to MP3 conversions, all editing / limting / etc is done manually in the .wav stage.)

Last edited by StickHorsie; 29th October 2008 at 13:17.
StickHorsie is offline   Reply With Quote