View Single Post
Old 18th October 2018, 07:08   #6444  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder View Post
I recall someone else also complaining about max-merge for smoothing things if the value is too big. I'll need to retest and file a bug report if it's still reproducable. It's been some time since I tested it.

Will also retest deblock 0:0. When I tested it earlier, I did find it smooth things slightly so I went one notch down from the standard -1:-1 of x264's --tune film.
I've done some testing on a 1080p encode, basically I've set CRF 21 and then tested one parameter at a time by comparing still frames. I know it's not the optimal way but it is very hard to notice the differences in motion. What I've tried to compare are areas which show distortion quite well, such as eyes and their surroundings, hair etc. I've also tried picking frames from fast motion and almost still scenes.

I'll post my results as soon as I finish the 720p tests. From what I can tell is that 1080p requires slightly different parameters, but of course it could be that things have changed so much under the hood that my set of parameters have been obsolete all the time

What I already found strange is that deblock doesn't really affect bitrate. For example deblock 6:6 ended up around the same size as deblock 0:0.