View Single Post
Old 22nd July 2020, 14:24   #20  |  Link
DTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranceBB View Post
Got it.
I just downloaded the new version and it's testing time!

So, I grabbed one of the spare BetaCAM contents I had available in 720x576 anamorphic 16:9. I picked two random scenes and I upscaled them to HD 1280x720 using different resizing kernels, including the new SinPowResizeMT().
For upscale it works close to LanczosResize with taps 2..3 with max sharpness with p about 2.5, and may be closer to GaussResize with p > 3.

The whole point of this method is for production any finite-resolution system data (SD,HD,UHDetc), 'conditioned', from for example infinite-res source (3D render or vector-defined image data like TrueType fonts). Or make down-scaled rips from hi-res sources to down-res targets.

I think it will not have any benefits in upscale (because in classic digital processing there defined the one and only one method of 'upscale' i.e. analog data restoration from digital form is Sinc-based filtering).

The good testing scenario is for example creating DVD-sized rip (SD 576 lines) from HD or better UHD source. And ofcourse the testing for output ringing must be performed with syntetic SincResize restoration at 2x..8x size in avisynth or real hardware DVD high quality DAC up to 13.5x8=108 MHz upsampling or broadcast quality waveform monitors like Tektronics/Leader products. Or may be producing subtitling or titling for any resolution system.
Current Subtitle() filter in avisynth produces too badly conditioned output and it is now possible to fix it significally using SSAA workflow:
1. Get Subtitle() output in 2x..8x+ size
2. SinPowResize (or GaussResize) /2../8+ to get conditioned output system size text.
Also if using 10x upsize and /10 down-resize (100x SSAA) it useful for .1 sample precision glyphs or text positioning (and sizing) for example for smooth crawls or other text animations. Same applying to layers composing work with sub-sample output positioning precision etc.

Last edited by DTL; 22nd July 2020 at 14:42.
DTL is offline   Reply With Quote