View Single Post
Old 20th March 2009, 16:06   #21  |  Link
turbojet

Which web browsing does benefit quite a bit from. What I don't understand from Microsoft is that Vista 64 bit dominates 32 bit in sales (and reports say they expect Windows 7 64 to dominate 32 even more) and they have IE7 64 and 32 installed by default but they are only supporting IE 32 with silverlight which is a very common web browser support tool.

While Microsoft still has to rely on adobe (real and quicktime have had IE 64 plugins for some time) for 64 bit IE support. if they had adobe support and chose to set IE64 as default on windows 7 64 they could stop some of the firefox bleeding, at least the user's that use firefox mainly because its faster then IE 32 which it clearly is but it's not as fast as IE 64. Minefield is hardly noticeably faster then IE 64 but I prefer the gui and the well supported plugin system from mozilla.

It's like on one hand Microsoft is trying to push forward with 64 bit (rightfully so) while on the other hand they are trying to work against it.

I was really expecting Silverlight 3 to have 32 and 64 bit support, I'm really bummed it doesn't appear to and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Last edited by turbojet; 20th March 2009 at 16:12.
turbojet is offline   Reply With Quote