View Single Post
Old 18th July 2020, 13:59   #29640  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharc View Post
Encoding a HD BD 1920x1080 source with NVEnc is done with h264 (AVC) only. I can't select h265 (HEVC). Is this because my 1050ti does not support B-frames for HEVC?
Not that it matters, it's just a question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
It follows the same rules as X265/X264. The only way to force a 1920x1080 source to HEVC would be with ALTERNATE output.

I am working on that ability -- to create a 1080p HEVC (UHD format) disc -- but I disabled that code for this release because I haven't tested it very well.The UHD standard also allows 1080p using HEVC. So that part should be available soon.
If you'd like to experiment with the capability to output 1080p to disc using HEVC into a UHD format, try adding:

UHD_V3_MODE=1

...to your INI file. I haven't tested it much, but I'm pretty sure it would only work in movie-only mode right now. Don't forget to reset it to 0 after playing with it -- as it will try to make normal BD backups into UHD format.

[Edit] Nope... sorry. I just ran a test on a 1080p source and, while it played, BD-RB failed to add the "--repeat-headers" parameter in the encode and FF/REW/CHAP isn't working (for 1080p output). I fixed it for the next release.

Last edited by jdobbs; 18th July 2020 at 21:43.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote