View Single Post
Old 7th September 2010, 08:18   #6  |  Link
Ghitulescu

If I may add something to Rule 6, especially to the passage commented by doom9 himself about this rule.
Actually the copyright law has nothing to do with downloading or internet. It has to do with copy, logic. Copying a tape in the 80ies (assuming one doesn't own the rights) for a friend was also an infringement, irrespectiv whether it was given in hand, it was used a postal service or any other imaginable way of transmitting the physical object. Also only the "copier" was infringing the copyright, not the "recipient".

However, the digital era made possible not only a bit-perfect copy (the analog suffered from too many generations) but also could hugely benefit from the internet. So a hacker could actually target more people than in the analog era. So this created a panic among the content publishers (usually the authors were moderate, execpt those those revenues were tight related to publishers) and the law was amended in many countries to provide a special chapter for internet.

Examples: In DE it is legal to copy for your personal use only any CD/DVD/BD from the public library, provided there are no copy protected (some CDs, most DVDs and all BD are). There's also the right to backup your legally bought media (despite media publishers insist thet's only tolerated, no, it's the right). You can also copy your legally bought media to a maximum 7 very-close-to-you persons (family). In ES you can freely download and upload anything from/to a friend/relative. In the UK it is forbidden even to say the word RECORD, on the other hand.

While the copyright claims of most content publishers are over exagerated, it has to be addmitted that the opposite is also true, lots of files of various origins flow through the internet. I find it dangerous that people come here asking the typical question: How to rip Avatar the best and the fastest? (variations thereof), then going back to their fora and start posting torrents (I am positively that there are unofficial contests, who posts the most movies), that is probably more dangerous than people that ask how to convert a downloaded movie back into the original format. I said more dangerous. Why? Because, in the end, the "downloaders" will find it simpler and cheaper to buy the originals. Who spends nights and days reencoding a wrongly encoded movie just to end with a low quality copy, well, that's either masochism or stupidity (or even more aggravating: the lack of a social/family life). It's much simpler, cheaper and legal (depending on the jurisdiction) to buy the original and to make a copy for daily use.
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote