View Single Post
Old 23rd October 2018, 23:41   #16  |  Link
Emulgator
Big Bit Savings Now !

I can second all what Manolito, hello_hello and johnmeyer found.
Going the similar route since I was forced to use Win7 because of newer hardware.
After first purchase it took me more than 8 weeks to go from cursing and not believing my eyes
to finally obtaining a more, now beautifully responsive Win7, looking like Win2000,
handling long lost, old, simple and beautiful software together with the recent stuff without locking me out.
And besides, 5 XP systems still perform beautifully here for those tasks that need XP
(e.g. NikonScan, which will never see an update because the scanners are not produced anymore, now worth a fortune.
VCD, SVCD, rarely needed, but hey: never compiled to work on anything past XP,
Refillable Printers, which will never see any update because manufacturer wants to see them dead.
some tailored measurement software which will never be updated beyond XP.)

On one of my used replacement laptops poor previous owner had traded his Vista64 for W10.
He must have been so discouraged then that he sold quickly for very cheap.
For me it came in as a nuisance which lasted 5 days, then I got rid of that.

Classic Shell, Total Commander, getting back Quick Launch and many more tweaks...
It is possible to tailor W7, but definitely wasn't a quick task for me.
In the end I took over almost all ownership, then permissions from "System" until I locked "System" out too much.

So welcome to the club, StainlessS and many thanks for your continued work to make ends meet !

Last edited by Emulgator; 23rd October 2018 at 23:49.
Emulgator is offline   Reply With Quote