View Single Post
Old 7th April 2020, 12:42   #18450  |  Link
Ryushin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker412 View Post
What's a good CQ setting for h265? I generally use 10MBps for 1080 content and feel that's a good compromise between file size and quality. I tried my first H265 file and set it at CQ 20 which resulted in a 4GB file for Infinity War. That seems REALLY low.
All depends on how clean the source is. I use CQ18 for high quality and CQ21 for the streaming encodes. I've had some 4K sources that were so clean that compressed so well I was concerned something was wrong. Watching it shows that it looks excellent. It's amazing how much data can be saved sometimes on some sources when just applying a very light MDegrain2 with a thSAD=100 value. I've had a video go from 17GB to 10GB with this very light degraining.

I've also noticed that 4K sources compress a lot better than their HD counterparts. I suspect it is because of 10 bit color vs 8 bit for HD. As an example I would have a 4K source that I resize to 1080p (for streaming) and it comes out to say 1.5GB. I take the HD 1080p source and resize it to 720p (for streaming) and it would not be unusual that it would be 1.5GB or even a little larger than the 1080p 4K.
Ryushin is offline   Reply With Quote