View Single Post
Old 6th April 2013, 16:02   #2238  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by *ale* View Post
Yes the source is progressive NTSC-film (23.976 fps); what I mean is whether it is preferable to use speedup or DGPulldown
This is mainly a matter of taste and personal preferences...

The DGPulldown method has the advantage that audio can be left alone. But you will get repeated frames which annoys a lot of people. In PAL land people are not used to this judder. And according to neuron2 NTSC to PAL conversion using pulldown flags is more noticeable to the viewer than NTSC pulldown, because the repeated fields are more evenly spread in NTSC pulldown.

The PAL speedup method is much more common, all professional authoring houses do it that way. The slightly faster video cannot be detected by most people, but audio can be a problem. Especially for music content many people can hear that the audio plays faster and at a higher pitch.

Lately you will often find sped up audio which has been pitch corrected so it will still play faster, but at the original pitch. But as a trade off you might get audible artifacts. Pitch correction is very complicated, there are different algorithms for vocals and polyphonic music, and you may still end up with audio glitches.

Just the other day I did such a conversion using PAL speedup. For the audio I used BeSweet and its soundtouch plugin which can speed up the audio without altering the pitch. It was a concert video, and the audio came out terribly. I tried it again, this time using Prosoniq Timefactory. It sounded much better, but there were still audible problems. So I ended up not preserving the original pitch which delivered a quality which was undistinguishable from the original.

AFAIK AVStoDVD speeds up the audio while not doing any pitch correction, so you will not have to deal with audio glitches. But it will only work for you if you can live with the slightly higher pitch. Check it out for yourself...

Cheers
manolito
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote