View Single Post
Old 26th April 2018, 13:30   #1  |  Link
ShogunGino

Troubles deinterlacing PS2 480i60 footage

I've browsed as many threads I've found relevant for two weeks now, and nothing I've found and tried have proven successful. I'll list out my attempts in order I tried them.

I have a Hauppauge 1212, purchased to record 480i gameplay footage through YPbPr cables(mostly PS2), since the 1212 does not automatically force a terrible blend fields deinterlacing filter. With it's software, it can record in .ts, .m2ts, and .mp4. The .m2ts option seems to give the highest quality.

I downloaded 64-bit AviSynth and the K-Lite codec pack at the recommendation of another amateur video maker like myself, and we used the following script to get it to work in VirtualDub:

DirectShowSource("source.M2TS")
AssumeTFF()

With VD's built in deinterlacing filters, I can get the framerate where I want it at 59.94, but what I've heard called "color fields" still remain, and no amount of field bob manipulation improves it. See Capture1

The guy who recommended this setup to me says he had no such combing artifacts appear for him.

I tried loading the Avisynth Yadif plugin, which I placed in the plugins64 folder in my Avisynth directory. I removed the AssumeTFF() script, and replaced it with these two lines:

LoadCPlugin("C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth\plugins64\yadif17\yadif.dll")
Yadif(mode=1, order=1, planar=false, opt=-1)

But, Virtualdub tells me that it's unable to load the plugin and doesn't give a special reason why.

So I try downloading Virtualdub's Smart Deinterlacer v.2.8 beta 1, and I place it in both the Plugins and Plugins64 folders, and try to import it as a .vdf in the Add Filters window. It tells me that its not a valid Win32 application, which I find odd because I made sure to download the 64-bit version of VD. It also doesn't show up in the list of Filters, so that didn't work either.

So I try out this QTGMC thing that sounds really exciting, and I download the latest version, v.3.357, along with the
core plugins in the Avisynth plugins64 folder, with the following script:

QTGMC(Preset="Slow")
AssumeTFF()

Whether or not the AssumeTFF() line is necessary I don't know, because VD tells me that on Line 244 of QTGMC, there is no function for "undefined". See Capture2 for the .ansi file opened to the line in C++.

Nothing I could find in the tutorials mentioned anything about this, or if it could cause a problem, and at this point, I'm not sure how to progress. I don't know if I've organized my folders incorrectly, with plugins in the wrong folders, or if something in my script was off. I've tried following all the advice I could, but nothing is even close to functioning in VD.

It's been quite frustrating since not even trying to record/deinterlace with OBS has worked. I find that weird since I could hook up my PS2 with s-video into my Avermedia EZ DVDmaker 7, and it can record/deinterlace/double frames just fine with that, but with the 1212, I still get combs. The only thing that looks nice is, surprisingly, VLC with its Yadif x2 filter, playback is exactly how I want to have it. Too bad screen capture with OBS and the like for that turns out blurry results, no matter how I set the recording parameters.
Attached Images

ShogunGino is offline   Reply With Quote