View Single Post
Old 20th November 2020, 21:47   #1  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

30pin to 40pin video connector?

Hi,
in January 2016 I bought an Asus N552VX, a fairly decent laptop back then, with an i7 6770HQ 4c/8th 2.60GHz, an NVIDIA 950M 4GB GDDR5, an Intel SSD mSata 1TB, two Samsung EVO Sata III SSD 1 TB + 1 TB and 32 GB of RAM DDR4. I'm going to upgrade the RAM to 64 GB DDR4 for Christmas (a Christmas present for me, yay), but there's a thing I never really liked and that's the FULL HD monitor.
You gotta know that this laptop is sold in two variants: it's very same laptop, all components are the same, BUT one has an UHD display and the other has a FULL HD display.
I bought the FULL HD one back then 'cause it was way cheaper and I thought "meh, I can replace the screen later on".
4 years passed and now I want to replace the screen with a UHD one, but I found out that there might be a problem.
Of course I asked ASUS first and they said "No! You have to buy the UHD laptop, you can't swap the screen" which seems a bit silly considering that it has the very same components as mine and also the very same case (it's the very same laptop!). I was going to order the new screen when I stumbled on this: https://www.laptopscreen.com/English...OK~PRO~N552VX/

Apparently, the FULL HD one has a 30 pin video connector:

while the UHD one has a 40 pin video connector:

So, the question is: is there a converter that converts a 30 pin video connector into a 40 pin video connector? And if there's, is it going to work or perhaps the 30 pin one cannot handle all the data necessary to display a UHD resolution at 60p?
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote