View Single Post
Old 13th August 2019, 13:15   #20  |  Link
ThunderFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Yes, it's pretty close to 4:4:4. There are some "crazy" people out there who pointed out this "problem" and I couldn't believe it either, but this is what it is

Have you checked with a meter? I did.
And it's "known" out there that the Wide settings is the closest to the native DCPI-P3 gamut.

madVR has great chroma upscalers: they create 4:4:4 out of the 4:2:0.

That's correct, thanks, I've updated my post with it.

That's a good starting point.

You are right but: those people don't use hardware/software (in our case madVR) that will do color gamut conversion on-the-fly if it's needed
So, about the DCPI-P3 gamut. Should color gamut 'wide' be selected only for movies? As an example I've been playing Witcher 3 on my TV (the game is running on my PC) and I've noticed that I can't use the game mode because the colors are oversaturated. The game mode forces color gamut to the 'wide' option. I've been using the Expert Bright room/dark room settings when playing. I read somewhere that the input lag should be at least almost the same when I have not enabled any extra picture processing options.

About madVR chroma upscaling. Are you trying to tell me that if my TV is not using PC mode the maximum chroma of 4:2:2 restricts the upscaling of madVR? What I mean is that if my TV is not on PC mode I then madVR can't upscale the picture as good? If that makes sense.

Thanks, I'll change to the PC levels both in NVIDIA Control Panel and in madVR. In NVIDIA CP should I leave everything else at default? I read somewhere that I should leave it at 8 bit RGB full range and let applications do their thing in fullscreen when watching HDR?

Are you saying that because we use madVR the 'Wide' color gamut option for SDR content is just the best option? Why isn't 'Auto' a better option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
@ThunderFi:

I have recently settled into disabled madVR calibration and the technicolor Expert setting for SDR content. I only change three settings OLED up to 56 since my room is not super dark, sharpness up to 20 since I read that is neutral for PC input... and Gamma to 2.2 (again room is not a dark cave). I still want to calibrate at some point, but for now with no gear this seems to be as good as it gets,

QB
I see. I've been using the ISF expert dark room/bright room when watching SDR content. With HDR content I've been using the Cinema option. This is based on the recommendations of RTINGS. With SDR content I've also used OLED light 56 and sharpness 20 as well. I think it was RTINGS who claimed that sharpness 20 should be neutral when watched from PC. I also use gamma 2.2.

Do you prefer the technicolor expert over the ISF expert dark room/bright room?

Last edited by ThunderFi; 13th August 2019 at 13:17.
ThunderFi is offline   Reply With Quote