View Single Post
Old 29th June 2016, 18:47   #8  |  Link
Mark_Venture

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
That's a pretty good speed increase. I run an i7-950, and always do high-quality, 2-pass encodes. It takes about 4hrs per encode. When you started this thread, I looked into the speed comparisons between the 860 and the 6700, and it looked like you might get about a twice the speed, so your results bear that out. I imagine that you're pretty happy with that.
I was using other options before, and it was slower. The settings (ini file) I posted gave me good enough results in a reasonable amount of time with my i7-860. (playback via Kodi on 1st and 2nd gen FireTV boxes). So I'll continue to use those settings with the new parts, unless someone can suggest something that helps further optimize my system to produce the same (video quality) results in less time.

I understand that times will vary with other Blurays, but this if this is any indication of what to expect, at least its a very good starting point.

I had waited a long time to finally do this upgrade. And yes, I'm very pleased with the results and my upgrade so far (only been a day since I got it together and running), especially the time reduction for doing 3D. While I don't do many 3D movies, its nice to see it will no longer take all night! (ok, it was like 5-6hrs per 3D movie, really it was most of the night). My i7-860 served me very well over these past 5.5+yrs. Eventually it will be dropped in place of the Q6700 setup that is now my media server.

I did have second thoughts after ordering everything, and seeing that Kaby Lake is coming later this year? and also seeing the 6800K... But I didn't want to wait, and the few articles I could find that show the 6700k on charts with 6800K for benchmarks don't show enough improvement in video encoding and stuff to justify the price differences to get what I want.

I do wish I was able to upgrade my old SATAII WD Black drive to a newer, bigger SATAIII Black, and get a new case and power supply (this case is a little cramped! especially with the size of this heatsink/fan), but house stuff and keeping the wife happy comes first So...maybe I'll get around to it later this summer.

Last edited by Mark_Venture; 2nd July 2016 at 14:18.
Mark_Venture is offline   Reply With Quote