View Single Post
Old 21st February 2021, 12:50   #340  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK423 View Post
Is one of these methods superior to the other? Is something different happening between these two conversion methods, is one creating a higher quality FLAC file than the other?
If you enqueue the jobs you can see (simplified) the differences:

1) eac3to input.dts output.flac
eac3to decode with libdcadec.dll and encode with libFLAC.dll (32 bits last version 1.3.3 2019-06-12) and --compression-level-8
I obtain a compression of 28,56 % and a speed of 21x with a sample in my PC.

2) ffmpeg -i input.dts -compression_level 12 output.flac
ffmpeg 64 bits decode with included libdcadec (most recent version) and libFLAC (I don't know the version but I supose is updated) but with best compression level (same quality because is lossless but less size)
I obtain a compression of 28,54 % and a speed of 14x with the same sample.

We obtain a very little gain in size but is slow than eac3to.

BTW I read than this compression level is less compatible with some devices and in the next UsEac3to version I will let the default level (5) like the more compatible.
With 5 I obtain a compression of 28,91 % and a speed of 66x with the same sample.

Much more fast than eac3to, more compatible with a little more size but much better than the DTS-MA with a compression of 45,18%

[EDIT]
Until next UsEac3to version remember the method (explained in the readme.txt) to override the UsEac3to default: -compression_level 12

Put in the COMMAND LINE PARAMETERS:

-acodec flac -compression_level 5

or any other value, and select in 'Use Command Line Parameters' : 'Replace ENC'

In the next version 1.3.1 to override the default (5) we need only in CLP:
-compression_level 8
and 'Add to ENC'

With ffmpeg -compression_level 8 (maybe like eac3to) I obtain a compression of 28,84 and a speed of 53x.
Fast but with a little more size than eac3to (I don't know for what, maybe different flac versions).

Last edited by tebasuna51; 21st February 2021 at 18:34. Reason: add info
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote