View Single Post
Old 9th January 2019, 00:14   #54170  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yeah, there will be scenes where I think I would notice a difference but it's not a question of that, it's that I know from my own investigations that NGU AA is superior to Bicubic 75 and I have the performance to use it, the card is there to be used to why not eek everything I think is worth it out of it? Nothing wrong with Bicubic 75 though, it's one of the better lower end choices, nobody is going to knock you for using that.
I only changed to bicubic75 in the latest test build because I'm preferring the tonemapping options right now as they are quite impressive. Eventually I'll tweak everything and settle on a happy medium somewhere. I agree wholeheartedly that NGU AA absolutely rocks and I can definitely see a difference depending on content. I'll get back to it. Then again, I'm looking at some rebuilding of machines this year at some point so I'll have the horsepower to crank everything back up. The 1060 was a compromise when I bought it. I really wanted a 1070 but the stupid crypto nonsense was going on and I couldn't find one local and online prices were ridiculous. Everything is a compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Very much this, people need to be using profiles, they're so easy to set up.
For full HD content on my 1080 I do a 2x supersample with NGU sharp and downscale with SSIM 2D, it's demanding as hell but because I have no other sharpening on my set or with madVR the resulting picture is very nice.. the edges are sharp and the picture does not look sharpened at all and the whole thing has a very high res sort of pop to it.
For hand drawn animated content I don't do this because the detail isn't there (most anime is actually captured at 720P, so much of it is upscaled anyway) and I've tested what I gain from supersampling this and it's next to nothing.. You got to know where to invest those resources. From the 750ti->960->1060 6GB-> 1080 it's been a balancing act I think I've managed particularly well, not a lot has changed when it comes to non HDR content upscaling/processing.
Profiles are absolutely my next time investment. I just haven't gone there yet but it's definitely needed now. When I get back from vacation that's top of the list.