View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2015, 21:33   #19  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
The option in "Adjust video image settings" doesn't change bitmaps, web pages, the OS, thumbnails, etc. The new one does. To me it is instantly noticeable but I notice shadow crush pretty quickly. It is a very obvious change toggling between them.
I'm still not sure we're on exactly the same wavelength. The question I've been trying to ask would be this:

Setup 1: TV set to expect PC levels, Nvidia global output range PC levels. Windpws displays correctly.
Setup 2: TV set to expect TV levels, Nvidia global output range TV levels. Windows displays correctly.

Now comes the question...... do they look the same?
I'm wondering if the scaling has a negative effect on the way Windows and programs look. I'm pretty sure I've read posts in the past where someone's claimed the expanding of video levels to PC levels for a PC monitor increases the likelihood of banding, which seems plausible if there's rounding errors, but I'm not sure I've seen a difference between PC levels in and out and TV levels in and out in that respect.
It's almost impossible to make valid comparisons without two identical TVs and two identical video cards etc so you could compare them side by side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
My desktop image looks so much better at the correct range.
It would.
I don't have the "global" levels option (still using XP) but I can set the output to YCbCr 4:4:4, and when I do the TV defaults to expecting TV levels and won't let me change it. Video looks fine without expanding the levels but Windows itself looks a bit off/crushed/dark. I assume it's still full range.
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote