View Single Post
Old 27th August 2013, 05:53   #2  |  Link
qyot27
...?

I store my own CD archives as a single file (ripped as standard PCM Wave, then converted to FLAC) with a cuesheet, and then split and encode the individual tracks to AAC (and at least with the latest one, also Opus; I used Vorbis once for a 5.1 channel rip from a DVD Audio disc, though). About 80% of the process is FOSS, because the ripping, splitting, and tagging programs are merely gratis (and for Windows, as I generally don't deal with actual media work that much under Ubuntu), not libre.

But for this purpose, I think that cdda2wav (cdrtools or cdrkit, depending on your philosophical bent) and shntool are the appropriate stand-ins for the non-FOSS stuff I use. cdda2wav does have the ability to rip as WAV/CUE, shntool can split it into individual tracks, and then you can construct a for loop with your audio encoder of choice, and then either tag later or use the encoder's own metadata options to do it at the same time.

After all the ripping/encoding is done, I pack the FLAC and AAC encodes into a RAR archive (you could use 7z, or .tar.xz; the only reason I don't is because those don't store crtime), and burn them off to a DVD-R. If you want to be ultra-paranoid, you could use M-DISC media for that part.

Last edited by qyot27; 27th August 2013 at 06:01.
qyot27 is online now   Reply With Quote