View Single Post
Old 2nd September 2013, 11:17   #17  |  Link
hello_hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Can't figure out why I said it won't always work for gapless albums?
Because I tried and there is also a nice *technical* explanation why it won't work, except in particular cases.
If you rip an entire CD as a single flac file + cue, why shouldn't it be gapless?
What's the technical explanation as to why it won't work, if there is one, because it certainly works for me.

I've got a gapless album here (Dark Side of the Moon) ripped as a single flac file, no cue (the flac file itself is tagged as a multitrack file), and it plays back gaplessly. I can even convert that single flac file to individual tracks and they still play gaplessly using foobar2000. I just tried it.
I tried a second gapless album ripped as a single flac file. It also plays back gaplessly.

If the entire album is ripped as a single file I'm not sure how you can go wrong. If it's ripped as individual tracks as long as the correct "gapless metadata" is written to each (probably just applies to lossy encoding) and you're using a player which supports gapless playback, it should work as advertised.
Are you sure you tested using a player which supports gapless playback, because you must have done something wrong.

According to Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gapless_playback#Format_support
"Since lossless data compression excludes the possibility of the introduction of padding, all lossless audio file formats are inherently gapless."
hello_hello is offline   Reply With Quote