View Single Post
Old 9th February 2019, 21:44   #3  |  Link
Danette

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmeyer View Post
The technique you use will depend on what technology was used to shorten the shows.

You need to provide a clip.

A clip's duration can be shortened by simply removing frames and then adjusting the audio to fit. The audio can either be pitched-corrected, or not. The duration can also be shortened by remapping every frame using motion estimation. This leads to much smoother results, but can introduce artifacts. Another technique is to use frame blending in place of the motion estimation.

Each of these processes will require a different approach to undo.

Many syndicated shows are simply edited to fit a new time slot. This was quite common with old shows. The usual candidates for this were the opening and closing credits and, in many cases, the entire intro. One of the great things when old TV shows were put on DVD or, more recently, became available for streaming, was to finally see them as they were originally broadcast, without those cuts.

You obviously cannot restore footage that isn't there at all.

As always, my recommendation is to look around and find better sources. I'd start with Amazon and Netflix.
Thanks. That's just about what I've been able to find as well: it can be done, with much effort, but there will be artifacts.

There are no better sources, as this show was issued on DVD by the licensing studio and is time compressed from previous syndication targets, not edited by cutting. Unfortunately, this studio has no interest in doing anything more with this show.
Danette is offline   Reply With Quote