View Single Post
Old 10th February 2019, 18:10   #1451  |  Link
IgorC

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
2020 should be an interesting year in the codec space, with AV2, VVC, and EVC all potentially being far enough along to evaluate, and H.264, HEVC, and AV1 still competing for current deployments. After UHD, HDR, HFR, and object-based audio all launching in 2014-2016, it's been a little dull around new media technologies. So I'm pretty amped by all the exciting fun 2020-2022 is going to be for codecs! It'll be an interesting mix of technical, business, and legal factors, and I really don't have a guess yet about what the codec world will look like in five years*!
This statement is beyond of a healthy optimism.
The market of video codecs is cooling down. There are few reasons for that. Royalty free formats start to gain share and some external factors like a big improvement of network bandwidth especially during last years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwaggoner View Post
And audio stuff is heating up with xHE-AAC, AC-4 with Atmos, and MPEG-H all going mainstream.

I don't know where You get this information from but this is not what happens with audio codecs lately.
xHE-AAC has nothing to do with mainstream. It's a low bitrate codec and companies adopt it only where bandwidth is very scarce. xHE-AAC/AC4 has no advantage over AAC (22 years old format) at 96-128+ kbps. Audio formats are mature at this point.

AC3 patents have expired in 2017 while LC-AAC's will be expired during 2019-2020. It will be imposible to force some company to use new codec when there are AC3 and LC-AAC with expired patents. Giant streaming platforms, Netflix and Youtube, use AAC and Opus. They don't plan to use any new audio codecs in near future.

Plus there is no one single developer team working on xHE-AAC, MPEG-H or AC4 audio codec. And xHE-AAC isn't actually a new format. It's a standard since 2012. Where its development? Adoption?

Last edited by IgorC; 10th February 2019 at 18:21.
IgorC is offline   Reply With Quote