Thread: Avisynth+
View Single Post
Old 12th February 2019, 11:43   #4488  |  Link
manolito

@ almosely

Thanks very much for your post about AVS+ settings and mtmodes.avsi. The settings you suggested seem to completely avoid the crashes I had with AVS+ so far...

I often convert my DVB-T2 TV captures from HD HEVC to SD AVC (old school like yourself, I still watch my movies on a CRT TV set). I use StaxRip (older 32-bit version), my AVS scripts are quite basic, and I was interested in AVS+ solely for some speed gains through the MT capability. High bit depth and fancy color spaces are not my thing. I also use 32-bit tools exclusively, my laptop is a ThinkPad with a Core i5 3rd generation CPU and 8GB RAM.

But up to now I could not get it stable with AVS+, I randomly got crashes just like the ones you described (Win7-64). This happened with and without the mtmodes.avsi, taking out filters one by one did not help, only way to get it stable was to disable MT. So I repeatedly reverted to good old AVS 2.61.

Last night I applied your suggested changes and did 2 long conversions, and to my surprise everything was absolutely stable. Of course I need to do more conversions to be sure, but it does look very promising. I have no idea which one of your suggestions did the trick, though. My script does contain ColorMatrix, maybe this was the culprit. The other thing which really surprised me was that avstp_set_threads made a difference. For all I know my script does not use any avstp-aware filter, still the encode got a little bit faster when I added the command before the prefetch call. Do you have an explanation?

Whatever, thanks again for your tips. You should update the mtmodes.avsi here:
http://avisynth.nl/index.php/AviSynt...lling_MT_modes

so others can profit from the changes, too.

Cheers
manolito

//EDIT//
Oops, I forgot one thing...
All of the above is for using DSS2Mod as my source filter. My overall speed increase by using AVS+ with these settings is about 1fps for 4 threads. With 3 threads the speed is almost the same.

But when using ffms2 as my source filter (latest stable GitHub version 2.23.1) the encoding speed drops considerably after a few minutes into the encode. About 5fps slower than with AVS 2.61. Not good, what could cause this?

Last edited by manolito; 12th February 2019 at 12:37.